Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Feb 19, 2010






Monday was a very long and tedious day. There's not really a lot to report on it. i had class from 9:30-3:30 so i ended up hanging out at the institute building until around 5:00 just studying and playing a little ping pong. After that we wandered aimlessly around paris until FHE at 6:00. the girls got dinner and we headed out. FHE was really fun. We had an escargot eating contest. I would have eaten a lot more if I was able to figure out how to get them out. It wasn't too bad. I figured out it was pretty easy to swallow them whole too. They tasted kind of earthy, a little like dirt. Not bad at all.

Tuesday was just one of those days where i wondered why in the world i bothered getting out of bed. I slept in a bit, but it wasn't too bad. Courtney and i ran to the RER and she barely made it and i got left behind. I still managed to make it to class on time. I was in a pretty stressed out mood and really cold. I completely fell in front of the building where the missionaries were and i really hoped that none of them saw it cause i basically rolled around after i fell. usually i would find something like that funny but i didn't. i don't think any of them saw, though. Shaina, Rosalie and i went to get some food and we got a ton of stuff. Cupcakes, Grapes, a baguette with cheese, a huge pain au chocolate, and cheese cake. It was pretty fun. I hung out with one of my better missionary friends. I found out he has a fiance which is weird. I'm all for girls waiting for missionaries, but being engaged seems a little unfair because she can't even date while he's gone. I didn't even know that that was allowed. Oh well, he's a pretty nice kid.


after class, Courtney and i went on the Parisian Necropolis: cimetiere du Pere-Lachaise walk. i was actually pretty excited because i hadn't hung out wtih just courtney in a while. I hadn't realized how long that walk was going to be. I was already really wanting to go home by then, too. At first it was really cool to be at that huge grave yard when it was all gray and snowy like that. I was mostly just interested in exploring on my own and i wasn't that interested in seeking out random people's graves. It was pretty cool to see Fontaine's grave. I think he was the most exciting one for me. I love fables. Oscar wilde's grave was pretty exciting too. it's weird how his fans go and kiss his grave. My laugh out loud moment was when we were told to look at this one guy's grave named Noir. Olivier wrote this about him: "a life size bronze statue of the murdered journalist was placed on the tonb. whether true-to-life or a sign of the sculptor's generosity, a certain prominent part of Noir's anatomy has become a fertility charm for women seeking to get pregnant." I'm glad Olivier decided to point that out to us. haha.

on wednesday, we all went to a symphony! It was orchestral de Paris and they did Symphany Fantasique by Berlioz. It was super fun. I fell asleep during the first symphany because they actually did two. The first one was le mort de cleopatra. It was kind of boring and I was really tired so I fell asleep for maybe ten minutes. Ariel said I snored a little bit. It was super fun. I couldn't watch the cello players because I would get too envious of their skills and wish I didn't suck so much. By the second movement or so, I was busy watching the percussion which is always fun. I swear those guys have the most fun. I like watching the percussion because I always feel like I could actually maybe play that for a symphony someday. I remember how fun it was to play drums really loudly during high school band. Maybe I should pick that up again sometime. Too bad i'm really bad at complex rhythms and my timing is a bit off. Ok, I make a terrible percussionist. It's still fun. It was also nice watching symphony phantastique be cause it had a plot that I understood and could fallow.

Yesterday, i went to the Dali museum with Mike. Dali's stuff is just so amazing for me. how does someone pull stuff like that out of their brains? why can't i pull things like that out? I wish i had his creativity. a good half or more of the art there was religious, and his take on it was so interesting and different. He even had some pretty interesting techniques for his art work, too. For some paintings, he shot ink bullets at his paper, then put snails on the work to let them make lines and textures and then he made images from that. All the stuff there was works from his later life, so it included a lot of 3D things like bronzes. his paintings seemed less technical and more experimental by the 60s too. I just love all his work and i am immensely jealous of his creativity. There were books in the store about him and i want to read all about him so i can start to think more like he does. I know he was kind of messed up at times, but i'm still pretty interested. There are three books i want. "The Century of Dali" by Jean Christophe Argillet (31.13 euros), "Dali" by Gilles Neret (8.50 Euros), and "The Dali Universe" by Beniamino Livi (34 euros). I want them all but i couldn't get myself to buy all of them or decide on just one to buy so i ended up getting none of them. I lose. I'll go back, though, and make a purchase. I just checked on amazon and the only one i found was "dali" for three bucks, so definitely a lot cheaper. I didn't spend as much time there as i wanted to because i had mike with me so that was disappointing. It was 6 euros to go in so i may just go back later on my own time. It's in montmartre which i love. It's so bohemian up there. i guess that makes sense because that's where the muline rouge is. i'm def going to take the family up there.

That day, i finally figured out how to do a smokey eye that doesn't look completely clownish on me! and it didn't use brown eye shadow, which i actually really don't like on me. it was really exciting. I got the idea from some gay guy who does makeup tutorials on youtube. I feel like 20 is too old to be finally figuring this stuff out. It was a big life changing moment in my life, though, so that's why i'm sharing it with you in my email.

Today i woke up late and took it easy. Courtney just wandered off on her own. Apparently she ran into Haley and Richard and hung out with them. I hung out with Rebecca and Shaina and we went on the "of Art, War, and World's Fairs: Invalides, Musee Rodin, Tour Eiffel" walk with them. it was actually really fun being just the three of us. we were all able to just relax and have fun. Basically it was a really nice walk so we just wanted to hang out outside. That aria of town isn't my favorite but it was fun to explore for a bit. I wasn't too excited about the war museums and i had already seen Rodin's museum. It was still interesting to see the invalides and the final resting place of Napoleon. Over all, it wasn't the most interesting walk i've been on. i'm glad i got it out of the way, though. after the dinner we found a chinese place to eat in. it was really nice to have some familiar food. I didn't eat that much but it filled me right up. there were a lot of american kids in there randomly. it was nice and familiar.

so dealing with the lack of working computer is kind of annoying. Skype video chat works for the most part and gchat works too. But i have to borrow courtney's computer for anything else. Sorry about my awful email this week. I would try a little better but running out of juice on her computer. I'll try to do better next time :) love you all!

ps. On monday, i was really tardy for class. Courntey just went ahead and left me so i went alone. I fell asleep on the train one stop away from mine and completely woke up at the wrong stop! i had to backtrack to make it to class. I was super late. It's a good thing we didn't have a quiz that day in class. It's also pretty funny that i slept through my stop like that. It was like as soon as i sat down i was out. good times

No comments:

Post a Comment